- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 45 grams butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup full-cream milk
- Put the self-raising flour and the salt in a bowl.
- Cut the chilled butter into small pieces then, using the tips of your fingers, rub it into the flour until it has the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Add a little milk and ‘mash’ the flour mixture into the milk with a fork. Keep adding small amounts of milk and continue to combine with the flour.
- Remove the dough and knead two or three times to form a ball of light dough.
- Flatten to about 1.5 cms and cut out small circles with a scone cutter.
- Glaze the top of the scones with milk.
- Bake in a 220Â°C oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Use a scone cutter and don’t twist them. This motion will ‘seal’ the sides of the scone dough and prevent it from rising.
- You can use knives to mix the butter into the flour.