Recipe: Beef, bacon and mushroom hotpot with parmesan dumplings
Summary: Terrific slow cooked meal, best in winter
- 1kg gravy beef
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 chopped bacon rashers,
- 500g button mushrooms, halved
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 1/2 cup oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 50g butter
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- Prepare the hotpot
- Put the 6 bacon rashers into the saucepan and cook well
- Remove bacon from saucepan
- Cut the gravy beef into 2cm chunks
- Brown beef in 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat.
- Remove from saucepan and set aside
- Add 1 onion, chopped, 500g button mushrooms, halved, and 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Cook until all ingredients are soft
- Stir in 2 tbs plain flour.
- Add 2 cups beef stock, 1 cup red wine, 1/2 cup organo leaves (fresh) and 3 bay leaves.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, add beef and bacon, and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Spoon into a large (2 litre) ovenproof dish.
- Preheat oven to 200Â°C.Make the dumplings
- Rub 50g butter into 2 cups self-raising flour.
- Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup milk.
- mix well to form a dough
- Roll into small balls, enough to cover top of oven dish
- Place on beef.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Very rich so good to serve with peas and other ‘fresh’ side vegetables.
Use less bacon and beef and add some chickpeas for a hotpot that isn’t quite as rich
Cooking time (duration): 30
Diet (other): High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: English
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Latest posts by Rae Allen (see all)
- Slow Cooker Broad Bean Soup - 25/08/2021
- Peanut butter and oat biscuits - 26/04/2021
- Vegan ANZAC biscuits - 05/05/2020