Carrot cake with cream cheese icing
Recipe Type: Dessert
Serves: 1 cake
This is the first time in some years I have cooked carrot cake from scratch but is proved as simple as ever. I tried to reduce sugar so went looking for a recipe that was a bit lighter on sugar, then adapted it..
- 1 cup self-raising flower
- 1 1/4 cups plain flower
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrot ( for me this is about 6 medium carrots )
- 1 cup granulated sugar ( I use raw granulated )
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar ( I use dark brown sugar )
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 180g cream cheese, softened ( or about 3/4 cup )
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar ( i use castor sugar )
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flour, ground cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add grated carrot, tossing through with a fork until evenly combined.
- Place granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Take a 200 mm circular spring baking pan, grease very lightly, can put two layers of baking paper on the botton, and a layer of baking paper around the inside ring.
- Pour or spoon mix into the pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 180°C for half an hour to an hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. It is good to test as the time can vary significantly depending on the oven.
- Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
- Place soft cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add castor sugar, beating at medium speed until combined (don’t overbeat).
- Spread icing thickly over top of cake.